Providence St. Joseph Health
Providence St. Joseph Health is seeking an Associate Counsel who
will be responsible, under the guidance of a Senior Corporate
Counsel, for providing general legal services and assigned
specific projects for the Providence St. Joseph Health (“PSJH”)
ministries in Southern California (collectively
The Associate Counsel provides legal advice, consultation, and policy analysis and interpretations of numerous areas of law and policy and conducts research and analysis to provide policy recommendations. Responsibilities also include preparing written opinions and guidance for the executive management teams and other internal clients and drafts and reviewing contracts for the organization, with emphasis on physician and vendor agreements.
The Associate Counsel keeps informed of opinions, orders, decisions and developments relating to hospital and physician legal requirements, and other matters of interest, and strives to carry out the essential position accountabilities in a timely manner in response to client needs. The ability to work in a team setting is essential.
- Provides valued, strategic, and practical legal services and solutions to PSJH with exceptional responsiveness and stewardship to all areas of PSJH with a focus on providing practical solutions to complex legal issues.
- Under the supervision of a Senior Corporate Counsel, coordinates with DLA colleagues to provide timely and effective legal services and solutions.
- Serves as a “point of contact” for PSJH hospital administrative teams to remain knowledgeable about their legal needs and challenges and assure such are met.
- Provides research and drafts legal opinions for the determination and resolution of complex legal issues under the guidance of a more senior department attorney, and the same with respect to moderately complicated legal issues but generally in a non-supervised context.
- Working closely with a more senior department attorney, participates in the supervision and preparation of defense in non-malpractice litigation matters and participates with outside counsel in the development of legal strategy, preparation of pleadings and briefs, and supervision of their work. Utilizing DLA’s process to track outside counsel expenditures and report progress to more senior department attorneys.
- Keeps informed of opinions, orders, decisions and developments relating to PSJH legal requirement, and other matters of interest, and continues to develop expertise in health care specialized areas of law (e.g. Stark, Anti-kickback Statute, Medicare reimbursement, privacy laws (including HIPAA), etc.)
- Working with outside counsel to defend/manage medical staff hearings and appeals, peer review proceedings and licensing matters, including reporting to state licensing boards and the National Practitioner Data Bank (“NPDB”)
- Provides guidance and interacts with PSJH’s fiduciary and Community Ministry Board members.
- Working closely with a more senior department attorney, provides research, factual information, counsel, and guidance on complex legal questions or issues; similar functions on a more independent basis with respect to moderately complicated legal matters.
- Performs due diligence functions and review in connection with transactional matters (acquisitions, financings, etc.).
- Ability to function independently to review and draft routine contracts and prepare documentation for basic transactions; ability to provide legal advice with respect to complex contracts and transactions when working closely with a more senior department attorney.
- Participates (generally speaking in a coordinated manner with a more senior department attorney) in providing regular and timely legal information as a continuing educational resource for Providence, including assisting with development of presentations and written summaries regarding regulatory/legal changes affecting such operations/ministries.
- Development of understanding for business issues involved in transactional matters; ability to provide feedback to more senior department attorneys and clients on the same.
- Prepares, drafts and reviews legal documents, including but not limited to governing documents (e.g., articles, bylaws, etc.) and agreements in compliance with applicable statutes, regulations and policies, and in accordance with relevant legal relationships.
- Working closely with a more senior department attorney, provides legal guidance to Providence’s Integrity, Audit and Compliance Services Department and assists with investigations, self-reporting, policy development, and resolution of complaints.
- Interacts with co-workers, visitors, and other staff consistent with the values of PSJH.
- Doctor of Jurisprudence degree from an accredited law school, or the equivalent.
- Admission to California State Bar within twelve (12) months of employment date is required for continued employment.
For more information and to apply please visit https://www.providenceiscalling.jobs/irvine-ca/associate-counsel/2EFCCA9E59B84C629A9DD7E71B6AE320/job/