Associate Counsel I General Legal Services
L.A. Care Health Plan
The Associate Counsel I General Legal Services will be
responsible for supporting L.A. Care’s contract and procurement
processes, providing legal advice on vendor and other agreements
for the organization, procurement, responding to public records
requests, advising on laws applicable to public agencies and
other legal matters handled by the General Legal Services unit
(GLS) of L.A. Care’s Legal Services Department. The position
reports to Associate General Counsel.
Drafts reviews, negotiates and advises clients on various agreements and contract documents for organization, including professional and consulting services, leases, IT services, software and licensing, SAP and grants. Provides legal advice and support on any other vendor contracting matters, including without limitation contract interpretation, termination of agreements, and management of associated risks.
Advises on various procurement processes, assists L.A. Care staff to develop and draft Requests for Proposals. This position handles public records requests under California Public Records Act and advises on laws applicable to public agencies, including the Ralph M. Brown Act, Political Reform Act, conflict of interests, gifts and honoraria. Provides legal advice, conducts appropriate research, drafts legal memoranda, other legal documents and communications. Provides legal advice in a manner that meets L.A. Care’s needs, including but not limited to:1) assuring compliance with all applicable legal and contractual requirements; 2) achieving operational units’ business goals; and 3) assuring appropriate risk management and mitigation. Supports communications and negotiations with external parties, as necessary.
Serves as a subject matter expert, provides training, legal advice, develops and reviews policies concerning on topics and matters within responsibility areas and as assigned by the General Counsel, Associate General Counsel or designees. Supports L.A. Care’s participation in various dispute resolution processes, including disputes with vendors, contracting entities or as assigned.Performs other duties as assigned.
- Juris Doctor Degree or Doctor of Law Degree (J.D.)
- At least 3 years of experience as licensed attorney or senior level analyst overseeing contracts/procurement activities.
- Candidates without CA Bar License may be eligible to be considered for the Specialist Position.
- Candidates with active/current membership with the State Bar (any States) will be considered for the position, as noted above.
- Prior experience with drafting, editing and reviewing all contract types and providing legal advice on wide range of vendor contracting matters and procurement processes.
- Knowledge and experience in contracting, procurement processes and general best practices.
- Experience providing legal advice, conducting legal research and activities relevant to the job duties and responsibilities.
- Substantial experience in contract/procurement activities.
- Experience in the health care industry or a public or governmental agency; prior experience in the managed care industry, would be highly favorable.
- Experience in a law firm, government or public entity handling wide range of contractual and procurement issues, including drafting relevant documents, and/or advising on public agency matters.
- Able to assist L.A. Care staff in utilizing contract and other documents to support achieving organizational goals.
- Excellent communication and research skills.
- Ability to work in a high-volume environment and excellent prioritization and organizational skills.
- Proficiency in WestLaw, Microsoft Office, public records databased and the public domain.
- Experience with SharePoint, SciQuest/Jaegger and Therefore.
- Licenses/Certifications Required
- State Bar – Active, current and unrestricted California License
In order to formally apply you’ll need to submit your application through the following link: https://jobs.lacare.org/job/Los-Angeles-Associate-Counsel-I-General-Legal-Services-CA-90017/608984300/