Associate Counsel III
Providence St. Joseph
Providence is seeking an Associate Counsel III to be responsible, under the guidance of the Deputy General Counsel, for providing general legal services and assigned specific projects for the Providence St. Joseph Health (“PSJH”) ministries in Southern California (collectively “Providence”).
The Associate Counsel provides legal advice, consultation, and policy analysis and interpretations of numerous areas of law and policy and conducts research and analysis to provide policy recommendations. Responsibilities also include preparing written opinions and guidance for the executive management teams and other internal clients and drafts and reviewing contracts for the organization, with emphasis on physician and vendor agreements. The Associate Counsel keeps informed of opinions, orders, decisions and developments relating to hospital and physician legal requirements, and other matters of interest, and strives to carry out the essential position accountabilities in a timely manner in response to client needs. The ability to work in a team setting is essential.
- Provide valued, strategic, and practical legal services and solutions to PSJH with exceptional responsiveness and stewardship to all areas of PSJH with a focus on providing practical solutions to complex legal issues. Serves as a “point of contact” for PSJH hospital administrative teams to remain knowledgeable about their legal needs and challenges and assure such are met. Provides research and drafts legal opinions for the determination and resolution of complex legal issues under the guidance of more senior department attorney and the same with respect to moderately complicated legal issues, but generally in a non-supervised context.
- Under the supervision of the Deputy General Counsel, coordinates with DLA colleagues to provide timely and effective legal services and solutions. Working closely with a more senior department attorney, participates in the supervision and preparation of defense in non-malpractice litigation matters and participates with outside counsel in the development of legal strategy, preparation of pleadings and briefs, and supervision of their work. Utilizing DLA’s process to track outside counsel expenditures and report progress to more senior department attorneys.
- Keep informed of opinions, orders, decisions and developments related to PSJH legal requirement, and other matters of interest , and continues to develop expertise in health care specialized areas of law (e.g. Stark, Anti-kickback Statue, Medicare reimbursement, privacy laws (including HIPAA), etc.)
- Provide guidance and interacts with PSJH’s fiduciary and Community Ministry Board members.
- Working with outside counsel to defend/manage medical staff hearings and appeals, peer review proceedings and licensing matters, including reporting to state licensing boards and the National Practitioner Data Bank (“NPDB”). Performs due diligence functions and reviews in connection with transactional matters (acquisitions, financings, etc.).
- Working closely with a more senior department attorney, provides legal guidance to Providence’s Integrity, Audit and Compliance Services Department and assists with investigations, self-reporting, policy development, and resolution of complaints.
- Working closely with a more senior department attorney, provides research, factual information, counsel, and guidance on complex legal questions or issues; similar functions on a more independent basis with respect to moderately complicated legal matters. Development of understanding for business issues involved in transactional matters; ability to provide feedback to more senior department attorneys and clients on the same.
- Participate (generally speaking in a coordinated manner with a more senior department attorney) in providing regular and timely legal information as a continuing educational resource for Providence, including assisting with development of presentations and written summaries regarding regulatory/ legal changes affecting such
- Ability to function independently to review and draft routine contracts and prepare documentation for basic transactions; ability to provide legal advice with respect to complex contracts and transactions when working closely with a more senior department attorney.
- Prepare, draft and review legal documents, including but not limited to governing documents (e.g., articles, bylaws, etc.) and agreements in compliance with applicable statutes, regulations and policies, and in accordance with relevant legal relationships.
- Required qualifications for this position include:
- Doctor of Jurisprudence Degree from an accredited law school.
- Admission to state bar in California within twelve (12) months of employment date for continued employment.
- 3 years related experience.
Providence Strategic and Management Services provides a variety of functional and system support services for all eight regions of Providence Health & Services from Alaska to California. We are focused on supporting our Mission by delivering a robust foundation of services and sharing of specialized expertise.
We offer a full comprehensive range of benefits – see our website for details: http://www.providenceiscalling.jobs/rewards-benefits/
Providence Health & Services is a not-for-profit Catholic network of hospitals, care centers, health plans, physicians, clinics, home health care and services guided by a Mission of caring the Sisters of Providence began over 160 years ago. Providence is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Providence does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, disability, veteran, military status, religion, age, creed, national origin, sexual identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information, or any other basis prohibited by local, state, or federal law.
For more information please visit: https://www.providenceiscalling.jobs/irvine-ca/associate-counsel-iii/3EC953970A6A4F3B9540D699D64FD0F5/job/?z=1&src=DM-13800