Associate General Counsel
Blue Shield of California
The Associate General Counsel (AGC) will be a Senior Director-level member of Blue Shield’s Law Department and will be a leader in the company. The Law Department partners with the company’s business leaders to embrace legal and ethical behavior in the achievement of the company’s mission. This team is highly regarded within the company and respected by management. It is comprised of top tier, analytical and intelligent attorneys; paralegals; contract and regulatory specialists; compliance specialists; and administrative support staff. The AGC will provide advice and counsel on a broad range of health law issues, with a particular focus on strategic provider contracting and partnership initiatives. The AGC must comfortably adapt to change, skillfully and quickly master new responsibilities, have demonstrated a strong business acumen, able to lead team members, and possess a strong drive for excellence.
- Lead and manage teams of inside and outside counsel, and business teams, on critical projects, initiatives, and transactions, requiring specialized legal knowledge and management skills.
- Function as the general counsel of the business and functional units assigned, and coordinate all legal services required by those units as an integral member of the units’ leadership team.
- Provide legal support and guidance in connection with the development of strategic provider relationships, including the development of innovative provider initiatives and specialty networks.
- Prepare and negotiate complex and sophisticated commercial contracts with hospitals, IPAs, large provider health systems and specialty and ancillary providers, using a variety of compensation methodologies.
- Design and implement policies, in consultation with the SVP/GC, governing Law Department organization, mission, strategy, and goals.
- Advise at all levels within the company on legal, regulatory, governmental agency, and contractual matters having a material impact on Blue Shield’s strategic, operational, and reputational goals.
- Serve as the lead Blue Shield representative and advocate in a variety of interactions with key external stakeholders, including providers, vendors, suppliers, governmental agencies, courts, trade associations, and professional groups.
- Create, foster, and maintain relationships with internal and external clients and constituents that enhance Blue Shield’s reputation as a health plan, employer, and corporate citizen.
- Communicate with the Department of Managed Health Care and the California Department of Insurance to submit and seek approval of regulatory filings and responses.
- Manage and be accountable for planning, budgeting, organizational design, and results of operations of the Law Department unit assigned.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Seven or more years of relevant legal experience. Expertise providing managed care legal advice to HMOs and/ or providers, with a focus on the Medicare and Medi-Cal programs preferred. Experience managing outside counsel preferred.
- Experience drafting and negotiating complex contracts between health plans and health care providers. Superior contract drafting skills and an ability to assess and draft agreements with a complete understanding of ramifications integrating law and business.
- Knowledge of value-based compensation arrangements with providers, experience with compensation arrangements that take into account healthcare quality measurements and able to convert initiative concepts into comprehensive contractual terms
- Knowledge of the Knox-Keene Health Care Service Plan Act and Regulations, Affordable Care Act, ERISA, HIPAA, Stark laws, and False Claims Act.
- Strong ability to provide risk assessment/ risk mitigation support.
- Combination of law firm and in-house experience preferred.
- Experience managing legal staff.
- JD from a respected law school and Bar admission (CA strongly preferred).
- Requires broad management and leadership knowledge to lead project teams and/or multiple job areas. Typically has mastery level knowledge and skills within a specific technical or professional discipline with broad understanding of other areas within the job function.
- Recognized leader among peers and management.
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills, with a keen ability to communicate effectively throughout all levels of the organization, as well as across organizations.
- Personal presence, credibility, and the professional demeanor necessary to interact with company management, regulatory bodies, and business units with persuasiveness and confidence.
- Collaborative team player with an ability to play multiple roles.
- Adaptable; flexible; comfortable with uncertainty and ambiguity.
- Ready, willing and able to assist with new needs; responsive.
- Ability to influence a diverse set of stakeholders; positive disposition.
- Self-motivated and enthusiastic.
- Efficient, with a propensity for action and a strong sense of ownership.
- Personal integrity, excellent judgment and ability to prioritize and make difficult decisions quickly.
- Hands-on, hard-working, “roll up your sleeves” style.
- Business orientation and acumen.
- Practical and solution-oriented
For more information and to apply, please visit: www.blueshieldca.com/careers