Associate General Counsel, Sr. Director – Corporate Law
Blue Shield of California
The Associate General Counsel (AGC) will be a Senior
Director-level member of Blue Shield’s Law Department and will be
a leader in the company. The Law Department partners with the
company’s business leaders to embrace legal and ethical behavior
in the achievement of the company’s mission. This team is highly
regarded within the company and respected by management. It is
comprised of top tier, analytical and intelligent attorneys;
paralegals; contract and regulatory specialists; compliance
specialists; and administrative support staff.
The new role will be part of the Corporate Law team and report to the Associate General Counsel – Lead Health Solutions. The role has primary responsibility for drafting, negotiating and advising on a wide range of commercial contracts and advising the leadership team of the Company’s Global Business Services (GBS) organization. It also has responsibility for providing general corporate counsel to Blue Shield’s business leaders in Health Solutions, Transformation, Information Technology, and other substantive areas as needed. The AGC must comfortably adapt to change, skillfully and quickly master new responsibilities, demonstrate strong business acumen, and possess a strong drive for excellence.
- Draft, negotiate and advise on a wide range of commercial contracts, including procurement, business processing outsourcing, technology agreements, information technology transactions (including licensing), cloud services and SaaS agreements, general consulting and services, marketing, agreements with early-stage tech companies to pilot innovations in healthcare, and other agreements.
- Providing counsel to the company’s Health ReImagined, Transformation and Global Business Services teams.
- Provide support to the Corporate Development Team, as needed.
- Provide counsel to Blue Shield’s business units working to pilot, test and scale innovations to transform healthcare in partnership with technology companies, community organizations and other stakeholders.
- Provide counsel to BSC’s initiatives to advance health equity and improve the affordability and quality of health care in underserved communities and populations in California
- Assist in other substantive legal areas and work with members of Legal leadership, attorneys and staff on departmental matters as needed.
- Provide thoughtful, creative and timely legal advice to various BSC business units.
- Work collaboratively with a broad range of people, developing and maintaining strong relationships between the Law Department and BSC’s business units.
Your knowledge and Experience
- Requires a Juris Doctorate degree
- Requires at least 10 years of experience drafting and negotiating complex commercial agreements and advising on general commercial matters, including experience at a top tier law firm or in-house corporate law department
- Member of the California State Bar, or having the qualifications and willingness to sit for (and pass) the California bar exam or qualifications for registration under the California State Bar registered in-house counsel program
- Experience in health care, technology and IP licensing preferred but not required
- Experience in managing outside counsel preferred but not required
- Strong negotiation, consultative and facilitation skills with the ability to effectively interact with all internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to influence a diverse set of stakeholders and drive to solutions
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills, with a keen ability to communicate effectively throughout all levels of the organization
- Personal presence, credibility, and the professional demeanor necessary to interact with company management, business units, SMEs, and regulatory bodies with persuasiveness and confidence
- Strong technology skills
- Collaborative team player with an ability to play multiple roles
For more information and to apply, please visit: https://bsc.referrals.selectminds.com/bsc/jobs/agc-sr-director-%E2%80%93-corporate-law-5413