Associate Legal Counsel
SCAN Health Plan
The Legal Counsel position is a Director-Level member of SCAN’s Legal Department and reports to the VP of Legal. The Legal Department partners with SCAN’s business leaders to foster legal and ethical behaviors in achievement of SCAN’s mission. The Legal Counsel provides advice and counsel on a broad range of health care issues relating to contracting, regulatory advice, and litigation.
- Work collaboratively with the VP of Legal, Legal Counsel and the General Counsel to fulfill the legal/contractual obligations of the organization
- Collaborate with the Legal team to provide well informed and expert legal advice related to a variety of matters including contracting, responses to regulatory actions, supporting compliance activities, and litigation
- Work collaboratively with a broad range of stakeholders throughout the organization to develop and maintain strong relationships with SCAN business units
- Review and negotiate various legal transactions and documents, including provider agreements, vendor agreement and software licenses
- Coordinate the engagement of external counsel as necessary and oversees their work
- Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies
- Contribute to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed
- Law degree from an ABA accredited law school and California Bar membership
- Certifications or Licenses: Californian Bar Membership
- 3 – 4 years of relevant legal experience in a law firm and or managed care setting
- Knowledge of Medicare Modernization Act, Knox Keen Health Care Service Plan Act, HIPAA, Stark laws and False Claims Act
- Personal presence and the professional demeanor needed to work with all levels of individuals throughout the organization
- The ability to collaborate as team player as well as to work independently and to adapt to change and master new skills and assume additional responsibilities as needed
- Works collaboratively with a broad range of stakeholders throughout the organization to develop and maintain strong relationships with SCAN business units
- Practical and business oriented with the ability to quickly integrate into partnerships and corporate cultures
- Hardworking with a “roll up your sleeves” attitude. The ideal candidate will be flexible, a team player and possess a drive for excellence.
- Expertise providing managed legal care advice to health plans and/or providers with a focus on Medicare and/or dual programs preferred.
Interested applicants should apply at https://www.scanhealthplan.com/.