Chief Legal Officer
The Permanente Federation
The Permanente Federation, LLC. is the national leadership and consulting organization for the eight Permanente Medical Groups (PMGs), which, together with the Kaiser Foundation Health Plans and Kaiser Foundation Hospitals, comprise Kaiser Permanente. The PMGs employ more than 22,000 physicians, approximately 90,000 nurses and other clinicians, and provide care to over 12 million Kaiser Permanente members. The Federation works on behalf of the PMGs to optimize care delivery and spread Permanente Medicine – medicine that it patient centered, evidence based, technology enabled, culturally responsive, team delivered, and physician led. The Federation, based in Oakland, California, fosters an open learning environment and accelerates research, innovation, and performance improvements across the PMGs to expand the reach of Kaiser Permanente’s integrated care delivery model and to lead the nation in transforming care delivery.
The Chief Legal Officer leads the legal and compliance functions in The Permanente Federation, Permanente Advantage, The Permanente Foundation, and the Council of Accountable Physician Practices (together, the Companies). Further, this position provides senior management with effective advice on strategies and their implementation, manages the legal function, and obtains and oversees the work of outside counsel.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides counsel and guidance on legal issues and on the legal implications of all matters
- Facilitates and leads the national PMG legal agenda\Assumes ultimate responsibility for ensuring that the Companies conduct business in compliance with applicable laws and regulations
- Assesses litigation filed against or on behalf of one or more of the Companies, works with the appropriate executive(s) to define a strategy to handle the case, and approves settlements if warranted.
- Structures and manages the Companies’ legal function and staff.
- Selects, retains, manages and evaluates outside counsel.
- Provides legal advice and consultation to a variety of clients, including advice in the following areas:
- Healthcare: Provides day-to-day legal advice to PMG physician leaders on a wide range of healthcare issues, including Medicare, Medicaid, other financial and reimbursement issues, credentialing, licensing, scope of practice, medical-legal issues, etc.
- Employment: Advises and collaborates on employment and labor law issues
- Compliance: Conducts legal research, prepares legal documents, and recommends courses of action to ensure compliance with laws, regulations, and accreditation standards
- Tax: Understands and applies tax exemption law in the healthcare context
- Intellectual Property: Understands and applies basic principles of intellectual property law
- Policies and Procedures; Communications: Provides advice and drafting assistance on policies and procedures (including, but not limited to employment policies and clinical policies), and on proposed communications that may have legal implications.
- Legislative Analysis: Monitors and advises the PMGs on relevant new statutes, regulations, and judicial decisions
- Contract Negotiation. Provides negotiation assistance, develops, and prepares contracts with organizations with which the respective PMGs conduct business.
- Board Matters: Assists in the preparation of agendas and minutes for various boards, committees and councils
- Outside Counsel Oversight: Monitors and reviews all work and expenditures for outside counsel to ensure quality and efficacy of legal services
- Education: Provides educational programs for PMG physicians and staff on legal issues
- Leadership Team Participation:Participates as a member of the Federation Leadership Team providing analysis and advice on a variety of matters
Education and/or Experience:
- Law degree from an American law school
- A member of the California Bar or be eligible for admission
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience advising health care institutions
- Experienced attorney with the legal background sufficient to function in a complex organization
- Extensive knowledge of the legal and regulatory issues governing healthcare
- Excellent persuasion and negotiation skills
- Excellent ability to communicate effectively with a variety of contacts, including outside attorneys, senior management, and business associates
- Excellent ability to effect collaborative alliances and promote teamwork
- Excellent ability to ensure high client satisfaction
- Experience in diverse areas of the law, including contracts, labor and employment, intellectual property
- Experience working on corporate governance matters and with a Board of Directors or Executive Committee.
- Experience managing other attorneys and supervising support staff
- Experience managing outside counsel cost effectively
- Experience in directing strategy and managing complex litigation
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Preferred experience with Kaiser Permanente business practices and the company’s structure
- Travel as required (approximately 10-15% of time)
Candidates who are interested should apply through KP Careers here: https://employees.kaiserpermanentejobs.org/job/oakland/chief-legal-officer/12922/10478640.