Providence St. Joseph Health
Providence St. Joseph Health is calling a Corporate Counsel to
our location in Seattle, WA.
The Corporate Counsel position, under the guidance of a VP, Senior Corporate Counsel, is responsible for providing general legal services for Providence St. Joseph Health (“Providence”), and for specific projects as assigned. This position has a degree of independence exercised in performing the duties and responsibilities and the relative legal complexity of work assignments.
The Corporate Counsel provides legal advice, consultation, and policy analysis and interpretations of numerous areas of law and policy, and where appropriate, conducts research and analysis to provide policy recommendations. In addition, this position prepares written opinions and guidance for the executive management teams and other internal clients and drafts and reviews contracts for the organization, with emphasis on physician and vendor agreements.
The Corporate Counsel keeps informed of opinions, orders, decisions and developments relating to hospital and physician legal requirements, and other matters of interest, and strives to carry out the essential position accountabilities in a timely manner in response to client needs.
In this position you will have the following responsibilities:
- Advises business clients on compliance with the Stark Law, Anti-Kickback Statute, False Claims Act, Medicare and Medicaid billing rules, HIPAA, and EMTALA.
- Drafts and reviews physician agreements, including medical director agreements, on-call agreements, and professional services agreements.
- Prepares and reviews business associate agreements and advises business clients on compliance with HIPAA, as well as other state and federal privacy statutes and regulations.
- Provides valued, strategic, and practical legal advice to executive leadership.
- Provides research and technical support and drafts legal opinions for the determination and resolution of complex legal issues.
- Develops and is recognized (within DLA) for expertise in health care law (e.g., Stark, Medicare reimbursement, privacy laws, HIPAA etc.)
- Coordinates with the VP, Senior Corporate Counsel, and Deputy General Counsel in providing assistance and guidance regarding Providence legal affairs.
- Prepares, drafts and reviews legal documents, including but not limited to governing documents (e.g., articles, bylaws, etc.) and agreements in compliance with applicable statutes, regulations and policies, and in accordance with relevant legal relationships.
- Provides analysis, advice and counsel for legal issues. Actively participates in providing regular and timely legal information as a continuing educational resource for Providence operations/ministries, including development of presentation materials, delivery of presentations, and development of written summaries regarding regulatory/legal changes affecting such operations/ministries.
- Provides legal guidance on legal matters to Providence’s Integrity, Audit and Compliance Services Department and provides assistance with internal investigations.
- Coordinates with DLA litigation counsel to provide advice to client regarding litigation management, including whether a case should be tried or settled.
- Remains current and knowledgeable with respect to issues affecting health care.
- Manage outside counsel, including establishing scope of work, budgeting, monitoring their work, and reviewing and approving invoices for services provided.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the VP, Senior Corporate Counsel and/or Deputy General Counsel
Required qualifications for this position include:
- Doctor of Jurisprudence degree from an accredited law school, or the equivalent. Admission to State Bar of Alaska, Washington, Oregon, California, Texas, Montana or New Mexico within twelve (12) months of employment is required for continued employment.
- Minimum 8 years of relevant health care legal experience in public or private law firm setting or demonstrated experience governing hospital/health care operations in-house advising a complex health care services organization or system, or academic medical center.
- Must possess highly effective written and verbal communication skills with the ability to work indirectly, collaboratively and effectively with other Providence team members including senior leadership. Able to manage assignments independently with minimal direct supervision.
- Preferred experience includes working with and providing input regarding legislative proposals as well as proposed and final regulations, the Medicare Modernization Act, the Affordable Care Act, the Medicare Access and CHIP Reauthorization Act and advising clients regarding reimbursement matters and billing and coding issues.
For more information and to apply please visit https://providence.taleo.net/careersection/external/jobdetail.ftl?job=295879&lang=en&sns_id=mailto#.YL-VSe1huQs.mailto