Corporate Employment Counsel
At Scripps Health, you will experience the pride, support, respect that has been repeatedly recognized as one of the nation’s Top 100 Places to Work. You’ll be surrounded by people committed to making a difference in the lives of their patients and their teammates. So, if you’re open to change, go ahead, and unlock your potential.
Scripps Health is seeking a talented attorney with deep experience handling a range of labor and employment related matters to join our organization. As Scripps Health’s sole employment counsel, you will assist with all employment and labor related legal matters, including advising on policy and procedures, wage and hour and classification matters, employee relations matter and employment litigation. You will also advise and assist with the creation of all employment policies, procedures, and trainings.
This position will report directly to the Scripps Health General Counsel and will work closely with senior leadership in the Human Resources Department, including the Chief Human Resources Officer of Scripps Health.
The Corporate Counsel will…
- Provide in-house legal counsel on labor and employment related matters, which may include, but be not limited to, human resources issues, wage and hour law, workers’ compensation, unemployment and other state agency claims, labor relations, employee benefits, employment agreements and policy related issues, FMLA matters, employment related litigation, employee terminations, performance management, investigations, accommodations, reorganizations, and other employment-related matters.
- Draft and edit employment-related documents, correspondence, agreements, policies, and processes.
- Participate in the creation and delivery of trainings related to employment law matters, such as harassment training and other manager trainings on a variety of topics.
- Manage and drive strategy on pre-litigation and litigation matters.
- Participate in and influence the decision-making process with appropriate clients and stakeholders.
- Identify and assess legal risks and opportunities within the labor and employment area and advise accordingly.
- Recognize when to elevate certain matters to the attention of the legal leadership.
- Supervise, manage, and evaluate outside counsel on employment related matters including litigation.
- Establish and maintain relationships, credibility and trust with clients, stakeholders, legal team members and other colleagues.
This is a Full-Time salaried position located at Scripps Corporate Offices in La Jolla, California.
- Experience advising on employment matters related specifically to a healthcare setting and healthcare employer, including but not limited to healthcare information privacy matters, healthcare specific wage and hour matters and HIPAA issues.
- Litigation experience preferred.
- Labor relations experience preferred.
- J.D. (Juris Doctor) degree from an ABA accredited law school.
- Member in good standing of the CA State Bar
- 10+ years of experience in labor and employment law
- Experience with state and federal employment law and advising and counseling clients on such laws
- Employment litigation experience and experience coordinating and driving to completion employment law projects
Strong attention to detail, goal oriented, strong business sense, practical approach to problem solving, superb analytical and writing skills, well organized, and a team player.
Please click here for complete qualifications and job submission details.