Health Center Compliance Counsel
Planned Parenthood Affiliates of California
The Health Center Compliance Counsel is responsible for providing
and coordinating key legal representation and advocacy for
California Planned Parenthood Education Fund, Inc. (CPPEF) and
Planned Parenthood Affiliates of California (PPAC), primarily
related to the provision of health care by the seven
independently incorporated Planned Parenthood affiliates in
California (California affiliates). Collectively, these
affiliates operate 115 health centers and provide almost 1.6
million patient visits each year. The in-house attorney will
provide legal analyses, guidelines and opinions, draft policies
and procedures, interface with various State agencies and the
Legislature and work to infuse Planned Parenthood’s values into
relevant legislation, regulations, government policies and
administrative actions. Duties include assisting Affiliates and
their health centers to comply with federal and state legal
requirements, providing legal counsel to business operations, and
representing CPPEF/PPAC and the Affiliates before regulatory
agencies and within coalitions.
Essential Job Functions:
- Works with other lawyers and non-lawyer staff on matters related to healthcare regulatory compliance, including but not limited to: facility licensing, provider enrollment, scope of practice, privacy and security, consent, billing and reimbursement-related issues.
- Represent PPAC and CPPEF at key stakeholder meetings; assist affiliates with interpreting and complying with state regulations; researching and recommending key policy positions on legislation or regulation impacting Planned Parenthood health centers.
- Assists in drafting model policies and procedures for health center operations.
- Prepares legal presentations and trainings for affiliate and health center staff.
- Answers questions from and provides general legal direction to PPAC and affiliates.
- Meets with other groups or associations interested in assigned issues, forming coalitions as appropriate.
Skills and Abilities Required:
- Admission to California Bar
- Minimum of 5 years experience practicing health care compliance law in California, including clinic licensing, billing, Medi-Cal, privacy and security, and other regulatory compliance issues.
- Excellent written and verbal communication, organizational, and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to effectively manage multiple priorities at one time, often in the face of fast turn-around deadlines.
- Resourceful and creative.
- Familiarity with community clinic environment, health care law, and reproductive justice issues.
- Team player, yet self-motivated and willing to work independently and take initiative.
- Willing to occasionally work evenings, weekends and travel in California.
For consideration, kindly forward your cover letter and resume
to: Maggy.Krell@ppacca.org. All
inquiries will be held in strict confidence.
For more information please visit https://www.plannedparenthoodaction.org/planned-parenthood-affiliates-california/about-us/job-opportunities.