California Medical Association
The California Medical Association (CMA) is a not-for-profit
physician organization, with approximately 50,000 members in all
modes of medical practice and specialties. The CMA is dedicated
to serving our member physicians and their patients through a
comprehensive program of legal, legislative, regulatory, and
economic advocacy and by providing physicians and physician
groups the tools necessary to succeed in today’s healthcare
environment. We are seeking a dynamic candidate for the position
of Legal Counsel who can join our Center for Legal Affairs team
and provide legal support to CMA’s Government Relations and
Political team. The CMA legal team leads, develops and implements
CMA advocacy with a strong knowledge of multidisciplinary
advocacy that includes litigation, policy, politics, coalition
building and public relations while providing strategic and
corporate counsel to CMA’s executive management team, the CMA
Board of Trustees and the CMA subsidiaries.
- Ideal candidate would provide collaborative, forward thinking, creative, authentic, and effective leadership to CMA and its physician leadership and management team.
- Serve as legal counsel for the association and its subsidiaries.
- Provide written and oral advocacy on state and federal legislation and regulations
- Serve as the subject matter expert in specified law or policy issues, which could include: employment, fraud and abuse, facility licensure, Medicare, Medi-Cal, scope of practice, and health information technology.
- Perform legal and policy research and analysis in a wide range of health law issues
- Research and respond to inquiries from member physicians
- Coordinate activities with other centers and subsidiary companies and non-profits within the organization, including executive management, government relations, policy, economic services, membership and communications.
- Other duties as required
(This job description reflects the general level and nature of
the job. It is not intended to be all inclusive.)
Frequent contact with other CMA staff, attorneys, member physicians, stakeholders and others.
Works independently and in close collaboration with other Association staff according to established deadlines under the direction of the General Counsel.
- Juris Doctor Degree
- At least one year of legal experience
- Strong writing and communication skills
- Litigation, regulatory, legislative or health law and policy experience preferred
- Experience or strong interest in equity, diversity and inclusion policies preferred but not required
- Strong writing, communication, and collaboration skills
- Independent, self-starter willing to take the initiative while working effectively in a team
Salary is dependent on experience. CMA offers a competitive salary and full benefit package. Please forward cover letter, resume, writing sample and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org. To learn more about the California Medical Association, please visit our website at www.cmadocs.org. CMA is an equal opportunity employer.