California Medical Association
The California Medical Association (CMA) is a not-for-profit
physician organization, with over 44,000 members in all modes of
medical practice and specialties. The CMA is dedicated to serving
our member physicians and their patients through a comprehensive
program of legal, legislative, regulatory, and economic advocacy
and by providing physicians and physician groups the tools
necessary to succeed in today’s healthcare environment. We are
seeking a dynamic candidate for the position of Legal Counsel who
can join our Center for Legal Affairs team. The CMA legal team
leads, develops and implements CMA advocacy with a strong
knowledge of multidisciplinary advocacy that includes law,
policy, politics, coalition building and public relations while
providing strategic and corporate counsel to CMA’s executive
management team, the CMA Board of Trustees and the CMA
subsidiaries. (This job description reflects the general level
and nature of the job. It is not intended to be all
- Ideal candidate would provide collaborative, forward thinking, creative, authentic, and effective leadership to CMA and its physician leadership and management team.
- Serve as legal counsel for the association and its subsidiaries.
- Provide written and oral advocacy on state and federal legislation and regulations
- Serve as the subject matter expert in specified health law issues, which could include: Stark, anti-kickback, fraud and abuse, privacy and security, HIPAA, facility licensure, peer review, medical staff self-governance, Medicare, Medi-Cal, and workers’ compensation.
- Perform legal and policy research and analysis in a wide range of health law issues
- Research and respond to inquiries from county medical societies and member physicians
- Coordinate activities with other centers and subsidiary companies and non-profits within the organization, including executive management, government relations, policy, economic services, membership and communications.
- Other duties as required
- Juris Doctor Degree
- Active license to practice in California
- At least two (2) years of legal experience
- Strong writing and communication skills
- Litigation, regulatory or health law and policy experience preferred
- Experience or strong interest with diversity and inclusion policies preferred but not required
- Strong writing, communication, and collaboration skills
- Independent, self-starter willing to take the initiative while working effectively in a team
Salary is dependent on experience. CMA offers a competitive salary and full benefit package. Please forward cover letter, resume, writing sample and salary requirements to email@example.com. To learn more about the California Medical Association, please visit our website at www.cmanet.org. CMA is an equal opportunity employer.