Health Plan of San Joaquin
Do you want to be a part of exciting initiatives in the community
with a growing organization? We are currently seeking an
experienced legal counsel to join our team. This position will
report directly to the Chief Compliance Officer and this role
will have the opportunity to interface and collaborate directly
with C-suite executives and a broad range of business team
members. As Legal Counsel, you will be responsible for ensuring
legal compliance by and limiting risk exposure for HPSJ,
anticipating issues and estimating risks, providing expert and
strategic legal advice to HPSJ’s Commissioners, executives and
senior management team members on various legal matters, and
facilitating business strategy development.
This role will be fully remote until October, and then will have the option to be partially remote proceeding our onsite work re-opening.
What You Will Be Doing:
- Works with outside counsel on litigation actions and conduct legal research and review HPSJ’s litigation strategy pertaining to the active legal actions.
- Acts as a liaison with county and outside counsels regarding their assignments, manages status of each assignment, and controls legal spending as appropriate.
- Keeps abreast of and assess potential legal risks on both state and federal legislative and regulatory changes.
- Maintains up to date applicable knowledge of both California and Federal health laws, including Medi-Cal Managed Care, Medicare D-SNP, provider contracting and labor/employment laws.
- Conducts legal and factual research necessary to draft and analyze various contracts, policies and other documents, and to advise internal stakeholders.
- Provides counsel on health care laws including those related to privacy, security, Medi-Cal/Medicaid, Medicare.
- Negotiates, drafts and/or reviews and revises contracts, agreements or other legal documents.
- Collaborates with HPSJ business owners to negotiate favorable terms with external business partners.
- Evaluate and weigh multiple inputs and impacts of any decision or course of action
- Optimizes HPSJ’s organizational efficiency regarding legal matters.
- Manages copyrights and trademarks.
- Creates and maintains business records according to internal standards and external requirements.
- Develops and maintains relationships with internal and external stakeholders and parties, including state regulators, based on trust and respect.
- Establishes annual legal goals and objectives including success metrics.
- Sets internal governance policies and manage the impact of external factors as applicable
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Competencies:
- Ability to provide prudent legal decision recommendations to HPSJ executive team members.
- Proven general counseling experience in business environment.
- Strong knowledge and understanding of applicable California and Federal laws and regulations which govern HPSJ such as California and Federal health laws, CCR & CFR, litigations, labor law, provider contracting, etc.)
- In-depth understanding of how legal issues affect Medi-Cal Managed Care and Medicare D-SNP.
- Ability to anticipate and respond to legal issues or risks.
- Ability to provide expertise advise or perform effective legal research on required terms and conditions for provider contracting (hospitals, primary care physicians, specialist, ancillary providers, telehealth providers, etc.), employment related legal issues, and general healthcare compliance matters.
- Ability to develop legal strategy and objectives.
- Interprets and applies understanding of key financial indicators to make better business decisions.
- Effectively builds formal and informal relationship networks inside and outside of the organization.
- Paints a compelling picture of the vision and strategy that motivates others to action.
- Sees ahead to future possibilities and translates them into breakthrough strategies.
- Makes sense of complex, high quantity, and sometimes contradictory information to effectively solve problems.
- Plans and prioritizes work to meet commitments aligned with organizational goals.
- Secures and deploys resources effectively and efficiently.
- Builds strong-identity teams that apply their diverse skills and perspectives to achieve common goals.
- Creates a climate where people are motivated to do their best to help the organization achieve its objectives.
- Steps up to address difficult issues; says what needs to be said.
- Handles conflict situations effectively, with a minimum amount of noise.
- Holds self and others accountable to meet commitments.
- Adapts approach and demeanor in real time to match the shifting demands of different situations.
- Develops and delivers multi-mode communications that convey a clear understanding of the unique needs of different audiences.
- Recognizes the value that different perspectives and cultures bring to an organization.
- Demonstrates a high degree of professional ethics, integrity and gravitas and gains the confidence and trust of others through honesty, integrity and authenticity.
- Strong presentation skills, including the ability to tailor presentations to a specific audience, and address and interact with large groups.
- Demonstrated ability to articulate and support HPSJ’s vision, mission, values and strategy, integrate into management practices, and foster their manifestation among staff.
- Expert level of competency in the use of MS Word and intermediate level with all other Microsoft software including Outlook, PowerPoint, SharePoint and Excel.
- Ability to speak and be understood in English.
- Ability to handle confidential information with appropriate discretion.
Required Education and Experience:
- Juris Doctor degree from accredited law school; and
- 4+ years practice with health laws.
- Experience with Medi-Cal managed care program requirements.
- Strong understanding of the California and Federal healthcare landscape, e.g., Medi-Cal Managed Care and Medicare D-SNP.
- Master’s Degree in Healthcare. MA or BS in Business Administration
- Experienced with general managed care plan business operations and requirements.
Required Licenses, Certifications:
- Licensed to practice law in the State of California
- Admission to the State Bar of California
For more information and to apply please visit https://jobs.silkroad.com/HPofSanJoaquin/careers/jobs/1738