University Counsel, General and Healthcare Litigation
University of Southern California
The Office of the General Counsel (OGC) provides legal services
to USC and its subsidiaries and certain affiliates. The mission
of the Office of the General Counsel is to assist USC through its
various schools and departments with legal issues and
transactions, to educate USC’s administrators and faculty with
regard to the laws applicable to USC’s operations, to defend the
university against litigation, to provide advice to assist the
university administration and faculty to pursue their objectives
and goals, with an overall objective of protecting USC from
liability. The OGC is responsible for addressing all of the legal
issues arising out of the activities of USC, its various schools
and departments including the University Park Campus and the
university’s health system, known as Keck Medicine of USC,
including Keck Medical Center of USC, USC Verdugo Hills Hospital,
and USC Care Medical Group.
This position serves as a critical member of the OGC’s healthcare litigation team. In collaboration with various stakeholders, this position will be responsible for handling a variety of healthcare litigation, including mass torts, medical malpractice, and employment matters. The position will also manage pre and post litigation compliance and health care issues. This position reports directly to the Associate General Counsel, Litigation and will be located at the Health Science Campus. Prior in-house, health care, and mass tort litigation experience is strongly preferred.
- Provide legal advice and manage healthcare, medical and dental malpractice, mass tort, and personal injury litigation for the university at the pre-litigation stage and through litigation, including post-litigation compliance. Proactively supervise outside counsel.
- Proactively advise senior management on how to accomplish business objectives without undue risk. Keep leadership and stakeholders apprised of developments.
- Assist in management of risk management incidents and oversight.
- Establish a rapport and working relationship with employees at all levels in order to act as a trusted advisor and encourage the proactive use of in-house legal counsel as a preventative measure.
- Collaborate with senior management to review and develop university policies.
- Minimum Education : J.D.
- Minimum Experience : 6 years required, 8+ years preferred.
- 6 years of experience required, 8+preferred;
- Prior in-house experience in a healthcare setting.
- Knowledge of healthcare, mass tort, and medical malpractice litigation;
- Experience representing health care providers.
To apply, please submit the online application form at: https://usccareers.usc.edu/job/los-angeles/university-counsel-general-and-healthcare-litigation/1209/12117892