Vice President and Assistant General Counsel
The Sharp HealthCare Legal Affairs Department (“Legal
Department”) is responsible for the provision and management of
the legal services and affairs for Sharp HealthCare and its
affiliated hospitals, health plan, medical foundation, and other
subsidiaries and businesses (collectively “Sharp”).
The Vice President and Assistant General Counsel (“AGC”):
- Serves as a member of the Legal Department.
- Reports to the Senior Vice President and General Counsel (“GC”).
- Manages, directs, supervises, coordinates, and performs general operational-related legal services for Sharp, including its hospitals, medical foundation and their related operations, activities and businesses.
- Acts as a key strategic legal advisor, counselor and business partner to Sharp’s executive leadership and senior management teams, including at Sharp’s hospitals and system services.
- Has direct oversight, supervision and reporting responsibility for the Legal Department’s attorneys, paralegals and other staff, whose primary role is the performance of legal services and support for Sharp.
- Participates actively in the leadership of the Legal Department, and is engaged in the planning, management, administration, direction, and decision-making of the Legal Department.
The AGC must be respected, both intellectually and
professionally, by the GC and the other members of the Legal
Department, most particularly with respect to his/her substantive
experience, knowledge and understanding of hospital, physician
and other health care operations and activities, and the legal
considerations relevant thereto.
As a part of his/her role, the AGC helps to assure (either directly or through supervision of others in the Legal Department) that legal and regulatory issues and developments are communicated to and understood by the appropriate constituents, and that the legal perspective is integrated into Sharp’s strategies, initiatives, business plans, transactions, policies, and practices. S/he also identifies and helps to mitigate legal risks, and to protect Sharp from undue or significant legal exposure, liability, and financial loss, while facilitating the achievement of strategic and operational goals, objectives and initiatives.
Professional Responsibilities: (partial listing)
- Counsels, advises, and performs legal services for Sharp’s President and Chief Executive Officer, Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer, Senior Vice Presidents, Vice Presidents, Directors and Managers, including System leadership, Hospital CEOs and their leadership teams, and Divisional leadership teams (collectively the “Sharp Leadership Teams”), on significant operational, transactional, and other matters, including:
- Hospital operations
- Hospital-physician contracting
- General business, management and services contracting
- Compliance and regulatory affairs
- State licensure, Medicare certification, and Joint Commission and other accreditation
- Trademarks and intellectual property
- Litigation management
- Debt or bond financing transactions, including oversight of due diligence processes
- Transactions, including acquisitions and dispositions
Administrative Responsibilities: (partial listing)
- Supervises, administers, and directs the attorneys and paralegals in the Legal Department engaged in the day-to-day performance of legal services for Sharp.
- Provides the attorneys and paralegals in the Legal Department with the leadership, guidance, oversight, structure, tools, and resources needed to effectively perform legal services for Sharp.
- Serves as a resource, mentor and coach for attorneys and paralegals in the Legal Department on operational issues, organizational matters, professional development, and growth opportunities.
- Manages, coordinates, and assists with the assignment and allocation or reallocation of workload among the attorneys and paralegals within the Legal Department and outside counsel.
- In coordination with the GC, directs and manages the engagement of outside legal counsel, either directly or by other members of the Legal Department, for transactions, litigation matters and other issues consistent with the outside counsel standards, policies and practices established from time to time by the Legal Department, including utilization, rate schedules, pricing and alternative fee structures, expected work product, timing of outside legal services, and satisfaction or performance standards. Assists the GC to establish and manage outside counsel budgets for the Legal Department.
Required Skills and Qualifications:
- Minimum of 15 years or more of experience involving the provision and management of legal services for health systems, hospitals, health plans, physician organizations and/or other health care delivery organizations, with an emphasis on hospital operations, compliance, hospital-physician contracting, physician engagement or alignment, health care-related transactions, and other similar matters, with a preference for a substantial part of the experience being in California.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in a senior or management level position in an in-house legal department or law firm, such as general counsel, managing partner, associate/assistant general counsel, senior counsel/client service leader, practice group or department leader, or equivalent leadership role.
- Juris Doctor or equivalent degree from an accredited law school in the United States
- Admitted and licensed to practice law in the State of California by the State Bar of California (or eligibility under the Registered In-House Counsel provisions of the State Bar and licensure in good standing in any jurisdiction) without any instances of suspension, revocation, censure or other adverse events.
The position provides a very competitive compensation, including
opportunity to participate in a management bonus incentive
program along with a generous benefit package.
Please note: Unsolicited resumes from employment agencies or other third parties will not be considered.
For a detailed job posting and to apply at: