VP, Senior Corporate Counsel – Litigation
Providence St. Joseph Health
Providence St. Joseph Health (PSJH) is seeking a senior litigator with significant experience, to oversee complex litigation matters that arise from all segments of the PSJH, exercising strategic judgment, oversight of outside counsel and interaction with senior leaders and individual business units. At the direction of the Chief Legal Officer, the lawyer will work with our team of regional and specialty leads to manage litigation activities across our ministries and regions. This candidate may work from the Department of Legal Affairs’ (DLA) offices in Seattle, WA, or Irvine, CA. As a member of the legal team, the candidate will provide legal guidance and counselling, both strategic and tactical, to all areas of the organization relating to litigation and regulatory inquiries. Potential candidates would ideally have 15 years’ experience of working on complex litigations from inception to conclusion.
Key Responsibilities (in coordination with DLA’s senior attorneys):
- Supervise outside counsel, consultants and support staff
- Work collaboratively with regional and specialty leads to support litigation activities
- Develop strategy and tactics for complex, high profile matters, including appropriate time and driving settlement
- Help prepare for litigation and responses to government investigations, including oversight of discovery, development of company and expert witnesses, etc.
- Liaison with communications and public affairs colleagues on high-profile matters
- Manage litigation budgets/costs, explore alternative fee arrangements and have the ability to drive down overall litigation costs
- Experience with litigation at both the trial and appellate levels
- Experience with litigation at both the trial and appellate levelsExperience with litigation in both state and federal courts
- Proven ability to manage other attorneys, support staffand work collaboratively with the same
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with an ability to provide sound, clear legal advice to senior executives and other senior leaders
- Desire and aptitude to work in a collaborative environment on a team of high-performing legal professionals
- Ability to effectively, efficiently and calmly manage multiple time-sensitive projects
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills
- Facility with creative problem-solving, especially with challenging matters
- Development of strategy and tactics for complex, high profile matters
Additional Desirable Knowledge & Skills:
- Significant regulatory experience — either working in a legal position for the government or managing the response to litigation or investigations initiated by the government
- Experience with class actions and multidistrict litigation
- Combination of private practice and in-house or government experience
- Experience in a highly regulated industry such as Healthcare, Pharmaceuticals, Insurance, or Government preferred
Required qualifications for this position include:
- The position requires a Doctor of Jurisprudence degree from an accredited law school, or the equivalent. Admission to state bar in California or Washington (or willingness to obtain license in either of those states) required.
- The position requires at least 15 years of relevant experience.
- Ability to recognize and weigh business and legal risks, think strategically and advance practical solutions.
- Ability to provide sound and practical advice on legal and business matters in a complex, fast-paced environment to a broad range of business teams.
- Superior communication skills in both written and verbal presentation, including all aspects of legal writing technique and procedure, and the ability to convey complex legal concepts to non-lawyers
- Ability to function effectively and complete projects in a timely manner in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work collaboratively with attorneys and staff from across the system
In order to formally apply you’ll need to submit your application through the following link: https://www.providenceiscalling.jobs/seattle-wa/vp-senior-corporate-counsel-litigation/2ACBFF8CAF6C491CA105B7F862111C37/job/